Tel: 01623 707017
We've Got Mansfield, Ashfield & Sherwood Covered


Second successive home defeat for Stags

Posted onPosted on 31st Oct
Second successive home defeat for Stags

Early and late goals sent Mansfield Town to a second successive home defeat, 2-0 against hard-working Wycombe.

Wycombe took the lead against the run of play in the eighth minute when Michael Harriman’s deep cross was headed back into the six-yard area for the unmarked Luke O’Nien to nod past flat-footed keeper Brian Jensen – the first goal the Stags had conceded for three games.

Substitute Aaron Amadi-Holloway confirmed Mansfield’s defeat four minutes into injury time, breaking clear and firing unchallenged into the bottom corner.

Disappointed Stags manager Adam Murray said: “There was a massive bang around the ground after an hour, and that was Mansfield Town being brought back down to earth. We must treat this as a learning curve.

“We have been impressive in the early part of the season, but results like this happen and we must bounce back.

“It was a very sloppy goal to give away (in the eighth minute) and when you give goals away like that you are always on the back foot from then on.

“Apart from their first goal, I did not feel like we were under threat.”

“We got crosses in and got into decent positions, but did not make the most of them.

“We lacked a spark and there was a lack of ruthlessness.”

Two early Mansfield shots from the edge of the area by Adam Chapman and Matt Green were held by the busy Matt Ingram.

Loan full back Blair Adams should have levelled when Wycombe’s players, stopped expecting a free kick. The quick-thinking Green released the unmarked full back, but he blazed over from 15 yards.

The diving Ingram preserved the visitors’ lead with a flying save to tip away Lee Collins’ header from a Chapman corner at the start of the second half.

The keeper also denied substitute Nathan Thomas and defender Ryan Tafazolli late equalisers, while substitute Adi Yussuf fired wide.

At the other end Collins cleared off the line as Garry Thompson broke clear and threatened to double Wycombe’s lead before Amadi-Holloway’s last gasp strike secured victory.